National Grant Type I
|PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM||A scholarship designed to provide more benefits to student in need related to income levels.|
|DISTRIBUTION OF AID||The maximum National Grant Type I award is up to ₩ 5.2 million per year.
Specific aid amount depends on the student’s Family Income Level, which is determined by the Social Security Information System managed by the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
There are 10 levels depending on income and assets, and if a family’s income is below a certain poverty level, the family is identified as a “Recipient of Basic Living Security Benefits”.
The chart below shows aid amounts according to the income levels.
(As of January 2021, Unit: KRW 10,000)
|Family Income Level||Aid amount per Year
|Recipient of basic living||520|
|Near poverty group, 1||520|
|ELIGIBILITY|| - Undergraduate students enrolled in domestic universities
- Family Income Level of 8 or below
- Must meet minimum academic requirements
· Freshmen : no requirements for the 1st semester
· Continuing students: completion of minimum 12 credits and grad of 80% or more from the previous semester
|FURTHER INFORMATION|| - Funds may be transferred either to universities and disbursed to students in the form of tuition wavers, or directly to students
- Students may simultaneously receive other types of scholarships, but total amount of aid should not exceed tuition & fees
- Recipients should reapply each semester to maintain eligibility status
- “C” Grade Warning: If a recipient on the income level from 0 to 2 receives a grade below 80 (but above 70), a grant is still given with a warning. The recipient must improve the grade to 80 or above to continue receiving the grant. For recipients with disabilities, they must maintain 70 or above.